“Windows could not configure one or more system components” error during unattended phase OSD

 

Ran into a new error today, and took some time to figure out the solution.  We had a new Dell come in with a SSD (unknown at the time that it had an SSD, nobody mentioned it to me) that was getting an error during the unattended phase of windows setup.  The full error was:

Windows could not configure one or more system components.  To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation.

Since I had just installed the newest Dell driver cab into our SCCM environment, I assumed it had to do something with that.  But after finally disabling all drivers, it still happened.  I decided to pull the HDD to look at the log files, and thats when I found out it was an SSD. It was the first SSD in our environment, so we hadnt run into the issue before this.  I attached the drive to another computer, and pulled the log files from c:\windows\Panther.  Inside of setupact.log, I found this error:

Error                 CBS    Startup: Failed to process advanced operation queue, startupPhase: 0.  Primitives are still pending. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

Doing some searching, I found a Dell webpage ( http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/w/wiki/2560.client-operating-system-deployment-known-issues-and-work-arounds.aspx ) which mentioned that  the Kernel-Mode Driver Framework was out of date in our base image, and an update needed to be injected to fix it.

So I downloaded the hotfix, extracted it, then injected it into our wim.  Here are the commands to do it (this is for the x64 version, if you need x86, replace the x64 in the filename with x86):

#Lets make the directory to mount our wim to:
mkdir C:\Mount

#Now lets mount the image located at index 1
dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:”WIM file location” /index:1 /mountdir:C:\Mount

#Lets inject the hotfix into the image, substitue the package path to your actual path to the cab
dism /Image:C:\Mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\Temp\kmdf-1.11-Win-6.1-x64\Windows6.1-KB2685811-x64.cab

#Finally, lets unmount the image and save the changes
dism.exe /unmount-wim /mountdir:F:\Temp\Mount /commit

Refresh the installation image in SCCM, and try it again.  That fixed the issues for us.

Filed under: Microsoft, SCCM | Posted on April 23rd, 2014 by CharlieMaurice

Leave a Reply

RSS Feed

Categories

Archives

Blogroll

Meta

Copyright © 2017 Charlie's Tech Ramblings. All rights reserved.

Tech Blue designed by Hive Designs • Ported by Free WordPress Themes