SCCM PXE Boot Fails 0xc0000001

I was banging my head against a wall for a bit with some new machines (Dell Optiplex 3020’s) we got in that wouldn’t PXE boot.  They would start, then error out with 0xc0000001, “A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed”.  I knew I had the right drivers installed in my pxe boot media, and had no idea why it wouldn’t work.  After a lot of searching, I found out why.  Most people change a registry key to make PXE booting faster.  This key controls the packet size for TFTP transfers.  I never had a problem with Intel nics, but these were the first computers with Realtek nics, and it was a problem.  After adjusting the size of the registry key back down, I was able to get them going again.  Here is the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SMS\DP\RamDiskTFTPBlockSize

Most people say set that to 16384 (dec) in order to have the fastest PXE boot time (which I had done).  That’s why I was having problems.  I had to lower it to 4096 in order for it to work for me.

Hopefully if someone else runs across the 0xc0000001 error, this will help them.  There isn’t much info out there on it.

Filed under: Microsoft, SCCM | Posted on June 5th, 2014 by CharlieMaurice

Leave a Reply

RSS Feed

Categories

Archives

Blogroll

Meta

Copyright © 2017 Charlie's Tech Ramblings. All rights reserved.

Tech Blue designed by Hive Designs • Ported by Free WordPress Themes